Monday, June 15, 2009

Welcome to ITALY!!!


6/12

With the time change, we checked into our hotel around 10:30pm. After a short night's sleep, we decided to grab a dip in the pool before heading back to the airport. All was going well in the pool until I picked Nathan up over my head and he projectile vomited on my face. To top it off, I lowered him back into the water to discover that he had simultaneously exploded out of his swim diaper and had poop all over his back. The gentleman sitting beside the pool gave me a dirty look, shook his head and rolled his eyes. I can't imagine why, but he decided not to swim that day.

Thank goodness that we had two short flights on Friday because the kids were wiped out. We finally arrived in Florence about 7:00pm and proceed to get our rental car......a 9-passenger van (the make of which I've never even heard of). It's not bad and gets us from place to place. The best part about it is the cargo space - which actually holds all of our stuff!! It is fun driving a standard again, though if we had any more passengers I would be required to get my European Commercial Driver's License (no joke).

Driving in Italy is an adventure - narrow streets, lots of one way roads, confusing signs, and terrible drivers....especially those on scooters! After getting lost a couple times, we made our way to our hotel in the heart of Florence for our one-night stay. We were right down the street from the Duomo in a pretty cool old hotel (but then again, everything in Italy is old).

After checking in, we enjoyed some late night festivities on the Square - including street performers, our first pizza, our first gelatos, and a ride on the carousel under the stars. It was the perfect first night in Italy!!!

2 comments:

  1. AAAHHH Italy one of my favorite places, except for the drivers and the people who give you snide looks because you are obviously American, but will happily take your money...I can't wait to take the kids one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love the pool story! And that does sound like the perfect first night!

    ReplyDelete